On Friday, November 1st, 2013, in one night, The Dandies successfully met their Movember goal of raising $1,000 but that’s not the end of the story!
Their Star Trek inspired variety show was a great platform to kick-off their Movember fundraising campaign with an amazing party and Toronto’s top acts.
“My co-workers and I had such a great time at the Close Shave Movember Fundraiser Party… I am looking forward to the 3rd annual Close Shave event next year!”
-Emma Truax, Movember Canada
The Dandies reached their Movember 2013 fundraising goal of $1,000 through Close Shave entrance fees, a 50-50 draw, chocolates and cookies, and a silent auction.
On November 20th, 2013, The Dandies reached their stretch goal of $1,500 but they weren’t done!
- Toronto-based musical comedy duo Debs & Errol take time off from promoting their new CTRL+ALT+DUETS EP to sing a few songs.
- The night will be peppered with sassy Star Trek burlesque from Toronto’s Professional Distraction, Red Herring, and International sing-and-strip sensation, Bianca Boom Boom.
- Cream of Comedy nominee, Brandon Ash-Mohammed will stop by with some hilarious stand-up.
- Our favourite sketch comedians, Fratwurst, will join us with some amazing sketches.
- Things will come to a climax with music from our feature act – the amazing and quick-thinking Wordburglar, rapper and figurehead of the Canadian nerdcore nation.
- And, of course, The Dandies will be performing Star Trek improv through the night to bring it all together!
Black Swan Tavern
154 Danforth Ave., 2nd floor, Toronto, ON
“As an avid Star trek fan (avid is an understatement of epic proportions) and really loved the Holodeck follies as well as the Burlesque, but I really enjoyed the eclectic line up that was presented the whole evening. There was really something for everyone. I don’t know if the performers enjoyed all the audience participation but we sure did!
Live long and prosper & Computer: Tea, Earl Grey, hot….”
-Darren Tarbat, Movember Canada
Thank you to the following sponsors for helping us in our 2013 Movember goals with auction and raffle item donations valuing over $1,000:
- Peter H. Lee, Managing Director, CIBC Wood Gundy: Raptors tickets (Sec 119, Row 19, Seat 19&20)
- Second City Toronto: Main Stage show passes
- Formula Kartways: Go Kart 20-lap vouchers
- The Cocksure Lads: Prize Pack (CD Release Party and CD)
- Copy Red Leader: Custom song (based on your topic suggestion), Romulan Ale flagon (blue lights)
- Alana McCarthy: Geeky Pets prints
- The Dandies: Star Trek: The Art of Juan Ortiz, Silver Snail gift certificates
- PoorMan Comics: Red Squirrel #1
- Nerdbiskits: Homemade moustache prize pack
- Combine Eatery: Meal Gift Certificate
- Rainbow Cinema Market Square: Movie passes
- Gabriello Pitman, Mentalist & Hypnotist: Show passes (Nov 9th, 10 p.m.)
- RAPP BATTLEZ: show passes
- Dark Comedy Festival: Robert Kelly show passes (Nov 9th, 10 p.m.)
- Aimee Frost, MAC Cosmetics: Cosmetic prize pack
In addition to the performers donating their time and artistry, thank you to the following donors for helping us with Close Shave:
- Em Modd : Movember cookies
- WOA Pro Studios: Event Videography
- Quentin Thwaites: Event Photography
- Sarabeth Craigs: Event Promotion
At the end of Movember 2013 (November 30th), The Dandies raised $1,625!